Demolition Task Force Recommendations Go-live April 20, 2015
On February 12, 2015, the Portland City Council adopted Demolition Task Force recommendations in response to community requests for increased notification to abutting residences prior to commencement of residential demolitions and large remodel projects. These changes to Portland City Code Title 24, Building Regulations, that are effective April 20, 2015, will expand notification and delay requirements for residential demolition permits and create a new Major Residential Alteration and Addition (MRAA) permit type with notification and delay requirements. In addition, applicants will be required to submit a Certification Regarding Asbestos and Lead-Based Paint form for these types of projects prior to permit issuance.
Effective Monday, April 20, 2015: All Residential Demolition Permits will require:
- Mandatory 35-day delay prior to permit issuance, with a possible 60-day extension through an appeal process.
- The City will mail a notice to all properties within 150 feet of the project site and to recognized organizations, Architectural Heritage Center and Restore Oregon at the beginning of the 35-day delay period.
- Door hangers will be posted by property owner or representative on abutting homes at least 5 days prior to demolition.
- New Certification Regarding Asbestos and Lead-Based Paint Form will be completed by the applicant and submitted to BDS prior to permit issuance.
Please see the Changes to Residential Demolition Notification, Delay, and Appeal Requirements Service Level Update for more information. Detailed information on the application and implementation of the residential demolition permit changes will be available on the BDS website at www.portlandoregon.gov/bds on Friday, April 17, 2015.
Effective Monday, April 20, 2015: Permit applications falling into the New MRAA (Major Residential Alteration and Addition) Building Permit Category will require:
- Notice to be emailed to recognized organizations whose boundaries include the site by the property owner 35 days prior to permit application issuance.
- Door hangers to be posted by property owner or representative on abutting homes 35 days prior to permit application issuance.
- New Neighborhood Notification form to be completed and submitted to BDS prior to permit issuance.
- New Certification Regarding Asbestos and Lead-Based Paint Form be completed and submitted to BDS prior to permit issuance.
Please see the MRAA Permits: New Permit Category with Notification and Delay Requirements Service Level Update for detailed information on this new permit category and requirements.
“Council’s adoption of the Demolition Task Force’s recommendations was the outcome of an inclusive and thoughtful process that engaged stakeholders from the community and the construction industry,” stated Amanda Fritz, Commissioner in Charge of BDS. “I thank the community and industry volunteers, and the BDS and City staff, who were on the Task Force.” BDS Director Paul L. Scarlett added, “The new requirements provide increased notification to neighbors, while maintaining predictability in the permitting process for permit applicants and construction contractors.
Demolition Task Force Background. On July 31, 2014 the Portland City Council directed the Bureau of Development Services to convene a Demolition Task Force to address the concerns related to City Code provisions regulating demolition of one and two family homes. The Demolition Task Force was made up of members from the Bureau’s Development Review Advisory Committee (DRAC), the Historic Landmarks Commission, the Design Review Commission and City staff. Members of various neighborhood association and other interested members of the public were also involved.
BDS Lunch and Learn: Demolition and MRAA Permit Notification and Delay Changes. Mark your calendars. On Friday, May 8, 2015, at 12:00 PM the Bureau will be hosting a one-hour information session on these new code changes and processes. The Lunch and Learn will be held on the second floor of the 1900 Building at 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Room 2500A (directly above the Development Services Center). Further notification on this event will be provided.
To learn more about the Bureau of Development Services please visit us online at www.portlandoregon.gov/bds.
Please subscribe to receive other Bureau of Development Services notification.